There must be quite a few things that a hot bath won’t cure, but I don’t know many of them. – Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar
Throughout my years, I have yet to find a better escape from the outside world than a steaming hot bath. It cleanses away all that is troubling me. It is my time. Nothing can get to me in this safe haven. It is my happy place. It is my cure-all remedy.
In honor of Bubble Bath Day, I am sharing some of my most-loved bath tips with you! Take a dip into euphoria with me…
There are specific bath remedies for all that ales you. Finding the right combination is key. Here is a basic list of some bath add-ins and how they can help you:
- Epsom Salt: Rich in magnesium which is easily absorbed through the skin and increases our sulfate levels which helps to rid the body of toxins. The magnesium also helps to interfere with pain receptors and is therefore, a FANTASTIC remedy for pain relief. Do this every two weeks and enjoy the benefits! HOW MUCH: 1 cup.
- Lavender: So so many uses for lavender. It calms the mind and is wonderful for easing anxiety. You can find it in many forms! However, lavender oil is the most versatile. HOW MUCH: 5-6 drops if you have dry skin, 8-10 drops if skin is neutral
- Tea Tree Oil: Antiseptic. I use a diluted version as a wash everyday. No added perfume, just a naturally thorough cleanse. Trader Joe’s carries all sorts of Tea Tree Oil products. HOW MUCH: 5-6 drops if you have dry skin, 8-10 drops if skin is neutral
- Lemon Slices: Yes, marinade in a lemon slice heaven. Lemons do wonders for your skin. They shrink your pores, detox your body, relax your muscles, and the sent is so refreshing. HOW MUCH: Cut 2-5 lemons into slices and soak.
- Honey: Moisturizes and deeply softens the skin. HOW MUCH: 1 Cup
- Milk: Soothes burns, lactic acid helps to break up dead skin cells and works the same as expensive beauty products– naturally! HOW MUCH: 2 Cups Powdered Milk
- Baking Soda: Detox and alkalizes your body. Best to mix with epsom salt. HOW MUCH: 5-6 tablespoons.
IMPORTANT: Detox baths can be unsafe if you are under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Hot temperatures + detoxing agents can cause dizziness. Exercise precaution!
It’s all about knowing your body and what it needs. 🙂
Now that you know the basics, there are a ton of great products out there that combine these elements and are cost efficient. I personally love LUSH, a store that produces a TON of great natural and just plain fun beauty products to experiment with your regime.
Also, Herbiary has a great selection of products. I love their Dream Bath mix. Tested and approved by me.
With all of that said, I recently took an Epsom Salt/Baking Soda detox bath AND I’ve been really on top of my moisturizing game. Therefore, tonight is all about celebrating BUBBLE Bath Day, I am using The Comforter Bubble Bar from LUSH. It contains enough fragrance and bubble power for two baths. So, cut in half and keep the other in a dry place until next time!
I like to feel as close to nature as possible. With that said, I like to add some fresh cut flowers for the earthy, natural perfume. Plus, they’re just beautiful to look at.
Since I can’t go longer than an hour without listening to music, I thought it would be fun to share my playlist and furthermore, ask some of your favorite bath time tunes!
Whit’s Bubble Bath Day Tunes:
- “Disappear” – Mikky Ekko (Thank you for sharing, Taylor. I am now utterly in love with this song <3)
- “Undo” – The 1975
- “Down By The Water” – The Decemberists
- “Goodbye Old Friend” – Devil Makes Three
- “All Wash Out” – Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic
- “Towers” – Bon Iver
– Naturally inspired. Locally aware. Universally beautiful. With love, Whitney.