This past weekend my friend, Basmah (beautiful name right?), and I went to Sedona, Arizona for a quick getaway from the Phoenix summer heat and spent the day playing in the wild making an exfoliating coffee scrub using all natural ingredients. Being that it was Labor Day weekend and that was everyone’s idea of fun, we had to adventure to find some peace and privacy for shooting this quick tutorial.
Venturing off the beaten path and feeling like you’re lost is so liberating. Every direction we walked was unfamiliar. We didn’t have service. We lost track of time. The sun set faster than we thought, so luckily we had the flashlights from our phones or I don’t know how long it would have taken to find our way back to the car. But, I didn’t mind the slight feeling of being stranded one bit. It’s a sensation that doesn’t come often enough in a city you are very comfortable in.
For the shoot, we went to Crescent Moon Ranch in Sedona. The scenery was incredible. We went at magic hour so the sights were breathtaking. The setting rays of the sun danced along the side of Cathedral Rock, while the protruding rock form reflected in the water we were playing in. I knew the location was going to be beautiful, but I didn’t think it would be as perfect as it was. Now, time for some fun. All you need for this body exfoliating coffee scrub are ingredients from the kitchen:
- ½ cup caffeinated coffee grounds (fresh or used)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup olive oil
Combine. Exfoliate. Let ingredients work magic on your skin for a few minutes. Rinse.
All of the ingredients play an important role in making the scrub healthy and renewing to the skin. Your skin is the largest organ on your body so it is vital to properly take care of it in the most natural way possible.
- Caffeinated Coffee: loaded with detoxifying properties and antioxidants that protect the skin from harmful particles present in the environment, enhances circulation, protects against UV rays, smoothes the skin to create an even texture and tone, and exfoliates.
- Brown Sugar: contains glycolic acid which conditions, moisturizes and protects the skin from toxins, exfoliates to improve skin function so your body is absorbing essential nutrients and removing the harmful contaminants, unclogs pores and promotes cell turnover.
- Cinnamon: contains anti-bacterial properties and is a natural astringent, increases circulation, and plumps skin.
- Olive Oil: promotes radiant complexion, conditions and shines, helps maintain skin elasticity, contains antioxidants that protect against harmful toxins.
These benefits sound so great, right? It’s amazing that the simplest ingredients in the kitchen can be so healthy for your body on the outside. So try it in your next shower, or next adventure to a breathtaking oasis like Basmah and I did. Enjoy.
– Naturally inspired. Locally aware. Universally beautiful. –